A costume designer creates the look of a character in film , television or in a stage production and in plays. Their main duties are...
1. Read and analyze the script.
2. Work closely with the director and other designers (set designer, lighting designer, make-up artist) on the production team to develop design concepts.
3. Do research to flesh out design concepts. (for example, geographical setting, time period, characters and their relationships and actions)
4. Produce drawings and color renderings of costumes.
5. Meet with the wardrobe manager and head cutter to discuss each design.
6. Purchase fabrics, new or used clothing and accessories.
7. Develop and implement a budget for costume-related expenses.
8. Develop patterns for costumes if necessary.
9. Attend fittings and rehearsals. (for theatre, dance or opera productions).